Get active in Orillia – for free! The month of June is Recreation and Parks Month (JRPM). The City will host a variety of free, family-fun indoor and outdoor activities that highlight City programs and the various outdoor amenities available to the community for the entire month of June.
“Orillia is fortunate to have many beautiful parks and wonderful recreation services, and during Recreation and Parks Month in June, those combine for a plethora of free and fun events,” said Mayor Steve Clarke. “The Recreation and Parks Month initiative was scaled back for the past two years due to COVID-19, and I am very excited to see the full lineup of activities this year. It’s a great way to reinforce the importance of getting active for our physical and mental health and enjoying all the outstanding recreation opportunities Orillia has to offer.”
JRPM is a movement that aims to promote the benefits of recreation and parks for physical, social, and environmental health. Communities across Ontario embrace JRPM to promote the programs they have to offer as well as parks and facilities that are available for all citizens to enjoy. Events are free to attend and first-come-first-served. Pre-registration is not required.
Some of the events taking place this year include:
- Scavenger Hunt – Venture around Orillia looking for hidden treasures, using secret clues from the Recreation and Youth Services DivisionFacebook, Twitter and Instagram social media pages. Every Monday in June a clue will be posted to social media about where a message in a bottle is hidden. This event begins June 6, 2022 and continues all month long.
- Camp Open House – Children and youth aged four to 16 are invited to meet the Orillia Recreation and Youth Services Day Camp team while participating in a fun-filled afternoon of exploration, adventure, and activities galore! This event is June 25, 2022 from noon to 4 p.m. at Couchiching Beach Park.
- Water Smart Day – Designed to educate the community about drowning prevention strategies, residents will enjoy water safety presentations, educational videos, handouts, and lifeguard demonstrations. There will also be free games, face painting and more. This event is June 25, 2022 from noon to 4 p.m. at Couchiching Beach Park.
- Spikeball – Spikeball is a fun and active two-on-two sports game with rules similar to volleyball. Join us at Moose Beach for a fun tutorial on how to play! This event is June 20, 2022 from 7 to 8 p.m. at Moose Beach.
- Babies in the Park – Come out for some socialization for you and your little one! Meet new people and enjoy the outdoors. This event is June 14, 2022 from 9 to 9:30 a.m. at Homewood Park.
“We are beyond excited to once again offer a month full of free activities in celebration of June is Recreation and Parks Month! There is something for all age groups and all interests,” said Megan Visser, Recreation Program Supervisor. “With the nice weather right on our doorstep, this is a great opportunity to see what the City has to offer, all while enjoying activities that get you out of the house and enjoying our fantastic amenities.”
To view the full events calendar and a detailed list of activities, please visit orillia.ca/JRPM. Hardcopies are available for pick up at the Orillia Recreation Centre. For more information contact the Recreation and Youth Services Division at 705-325-4386 or email@example.com.