The Town of Bracebridge will install the floating snowmobile bridge over the Muskoka River near 154 Beaumont Drive and 147 Santa’s Village Road on Thursday, November 24 and Friday, November 25 between 9 am and 4 pm.
In accordance with the Land Use Permit from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, the Muskoka River will be closed to navigation at Lot 3, Concession 13, Muskoka Township effective November 23 until April 1, 2023.
Snowmobile operators are reminded that snowmobiles are not to be driven on municipal sidewalks and through any Town parks. Snowmobiles are required to stay on designated snowmobile trails and operators need to be aware of all on-road signage.
Follow these safety tips to ensure a safe snowmobile season.
- Know the terrain and wear the proper safety equipment;
- Avoid snowmobiling in the dark when visibility is reduced and it is more difficult to see hazards and unsafe conditions;
- Wear a helmet, appropriate clothing for the weather conditions and a personal flotation device if travelling over frozen bodies of water;
- Do not consume alcohol before or during a snowmobile outing, and do not ride if you are tired;
- Know how to operate on frozen surfaces. Ensure ice is at least 25 centimetres thick and be aware of any open water. Avoid ice that has recently frozen, thawed, and then frozen again;
- Always snowmobile with other people and avoid travelling over ice alone;
- Follow the shoreline and leave 15 metres between snowmobiles; and
- Be prepared. Carry rescue equipment such as ice picks, a rope, a cell phone (in a waterproof container), and a first aid kit.