A kayaker was saved thanks to wearing a life jacket when their vessel capsized on Head Lake in Kawartha Lakes.
On June 18, 2021, shortly after 10 a.m., City of Kawartha Lakes OPP, and the local Fire Department, responded to a call for assistance from a kayaker reporting their friend was stranded in the water. The caller advised that their friend had been in the water for quite some time wearing a life jacket and holding onto the kayak, but that they could not make their way to shore.
Despite poor weather conditions, the kayakers were both found in good health and brought to shore by the fire department.
This is a good reminder of the importance to always wear a PFD and have safety equipment while out on the water.
When you go out in a boat, it is important to:
- Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Know what safety equipment your boat requires and confirm that it is on board.
- Ensure that there are enough life jackets for everyone on board and remember, they only work when you wear them.
- Know your abilities and stay within them.
- Take your fully charged cell phone with you.
For more information on required safety equipment, check out Transport Canada’s Safe Boating Guide: https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/migrated/tp_511e.pdf
A file photo