One firefighter had minor injuries and the lone occupant of a home had minor burns after a house fire broke out in Utterson early this morning.
Crews got the call to 1057 Sutton Road just after 1 a.m. on Saturday morning. They found smoke and flames coming through the roof when they arrived. A working smoke alarm alerted the home owner and his dog to escape the home.
Road access, small space and water supply contributed to the challenges that firefighters faced. Eighteen firefighters attended the scene at the height of the fire from Port Carling, Raymond, Windermere and Milford Bay.
The fire department said two exposure structures were saved.
“I am exceptionally proud of our team efforts and the two exposure saves that came from their work,” said Muskoka Lakes Fire Chief Ryan Murrell.
Crews were on scene until 4 a.m., and damage is estimated at $500,000. The cause of the fire is suspected to be an electrical space heater in the basement.