An investigation of sexual assault led the West Parry Sound Crime Unit to three victims and multiple sexual related offences being laid.
On February 15, 2023, the West Parry Sound Crime Unit initiated an investigation of sexual assault in Parry Sound.
While investigating the initial complaint, police were alerted to two more victim complaints with offences dating back to October 2020. As a result of the investigation, a person (age 18) from Parry Sound has been arrested and charged with:
· Sexual assault – five counts
· Sexual interference – four counts
· Luring a person under 16 years of age by means of telecommunication – two counts
· Invitation to sexual touching under 16 years of age – two counts
· Transmit sexually explicit material to a person under 16 years of age – two counts
· Utter threats – cause death or bodily harm
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Parry Sound at a later date.
The OPP will not be releasing the name of the accused as it is protected under provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act and to protect the identity of the victims.
Victims of sexual assault are not alone. If you need support or know someone that does, there are local resources here to help. You can call East & West Parry Sound Victim Services 1-705-746-0508 or the Crisis Line 24/7 1-705-938-1476 where your information will remain anonymous and confidential. You can also visit the following website at: www.psvs.ca . If you are in an immediate crisis, dial 9-1-1.