On January 28, 2021 at 10:30 a.m., the West Parry Sound OPP were on general patrol on Highway 69 near Britt, north of Parry Sound. Officers attempted to stop a southbound vehicle which fled from police. Officers located the vehicle on Highway 69 in Pointe Au Baril, Ontario.
As a result of further investigation, Shauna Ashawasegai, 38-years-of-age, Keisha Ashawasegai, 21-years-of-age, both of Sudbury, Ontario, and Robin Kanasawe, 36-years-of-age of Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation, Ontario are charged with:
- Possession of property obtained by crime – over $5000
- Possession of a Schedule I substance – methamphetamine,
- Possession of a Schedule I substance – cocaine,
- Possession of a Schedule I substance – opioid (other than heroin)
Shauna Ashawasegai was further charged with:
- Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs,
Robin Kanasawe was further charged with:
- Flight from peace officer
- Obstruct peace officer
- Personation with intent to avoid arrest
- Driving while under suspension
- Careless driving
- Speeding 1 – 49 km/h over posted limit
The three accused are scheduled to appear in Parry Sound court on March 4, 2021.