With hunting season getting underway the OPP East Region Snowmobile, ATV, Vessel Enforcement (SAVE) team is reminding hunters that safety needs to be their first priority.
There are a number of ways hunters can keep themselves, and those around them, safe. These include:
- Tell someone where you will be hunting and when you will return
- Wear hunter orange
- Handle firearms with care and attention at all times
- Never shoot unless you’re sure of your target and what lies beyond
- Carry a survival kit and a small first aid kit with you at all times
- Never drink alcohol while hunting
As many hunters use ATV’s and other Off Road Vehicles (ORV), the OPP SAVE team would like to encourage safe and responsible operation.
- Exercise caution and ride within laws that are designed to keep you safe while operating any type of ORV.
- OPP investigations into ORV collisions continue to show that alcohol consumption, lack of experience, high speed, lack of helmet use and overall carelessness are major contributing factors in severe injuries or deaths associated with this outdoor activity.
- Driving an ORV while impaired by alcohol or drugs is as unlawful as driving any other vehicle and carries the same penalties as driving a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Operators who do not wear their helmets are at a much higher risk of serious injury or death in the event of an ORV incident