On October 07, 2018 at 11:35 p.m. Orillia OPP were called to a head-on collision on Highway 12 between Atherley Road and Forest Avenue. As a result of the collision two people were brought to an Orillia area hospital by Paramedics with minor injuries.
When police arrived on the scene Orillia Fire Department indicated that the driver of one of the vehicles had fled the scene prior to emergency services arriving.
After a short investigation police were able to identify the driver of the vehicle that fled as, 42 year old, Jamie Varela of Orillia. He was arrested a short while later and charged with the following:
- Impaired Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Driving with More than 80 mg of Alcohol in Blood
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle
- Obstruct a Peace Officer
- Fail to Stop at the Scene of an Accident
- Driving while Under Suspension
The accused was released on a Promise to Appear for October 30, 2018 at the Courthouse in Orillia.