On Thursday February 7, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. a Bracebridge OPP officer was conducting speed enforcement on Highway 11 Northbound in Bracebridge and stopped a grey Honda Civic that was moving considerably higher than the speed limit. Further investigation revealed that the man operating the vehicle was wanted in Toronto and Essex County on outstanding warrants. Subsequent to his arrest, police located a loaded firearm in his possession along with illegal drugs and several thousand dollars in cash.
Police have charged 24 year-old Levon Byers from Scarborough with the following offenses:
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited Firearm
- Possession of a Firearm contrary to Prohibition Order
- Possession of a Prohibited Device
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
- Occupant of Motor Vehicle knowing there was a Firearm
- Careless Storage of a Firearm
- Possession of Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Opioid CDSA
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime
- Fail to Comply with Recognizance
He will appear in Bracebridge today, February 8, 2019, for a bail hearing.