There were two new forest fires discovered by late afternoon on August 20.
- Algonquin Park 13 is 0.1 of a hectare in size and is located near Sisco Lake in the western section of the Park.
- North Bay 18 is 0.5 of a hectare and is located north of the Mattawa River northeast of Paresseux Falls.
- At the time of this update, there are four other active wildland fires in the region.
- Algonquin Park 12 is under control at 0.2 of a hectare and is located north of Grand Lake.
- Sudbury 37 is not under control at 2.5 hectares an is located west of Friday Lake.
- Parry Sound 18 is under control at 0.2 of a hectare and is located north of Grundy lake Provincial Park.
- Cochrane 10 measures 74 hectares and is being observed, approximately 100 kilometers southeast of Moose Factory.
- The forest fire hazard ranges from low to extreme across the region, with the areas of most concern situated in the central and eastern portions of the region.
- For up to date forest fire hazard conditions in your area, see the interactive fire map at Ontario.ca/forestfires.
Help prevent forest fires
Adopt safe campfire practices! Choose the site of your campfire carefully and keep your fire small. Stay nearby: never leave it unattended. Put your fire out by drowning it with water. Be sure that it is extinguished prior to leaving the site. Stir the ashes with a stick to uncover hot coals and then drown it again. You can never be too safe.
Consider alternatives to burning brush or yard waste, such as chipping or composting when possible, or saving burn piles for the fall or after the fire season. Use of outdoor fires must follow the outdoor burning rules set out in the Forest Fire Prevention Act of Ontario. Fires are to be started no sooner than two hours before sunset and extinguished no later than two hours after sunrise. Fires should never be left unattended and tools and water should be close at hand to put the fire out. More details on outdoor burning regulations can be found online at Ontario.ca/forestfire
For information about the current forest fire situation: 1-888-220-7242
For updates on the fire situation, visit ontario.ca/forestfire or follow on Twitter @ONforestfires.
To report a forest fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE. To report a forest fire south of these rivers, dial 911.