For the second time in recent weeks, the Huntsville / Lake of Bays Fire Department was called to a grass fire in which a campfire was not extinguished
On Monday September 9, 2019 at 3:48 p.m. crews were called to Roothhog Island for a grass fire 150 square feet in size. There were no injuries reported.
Adopt safe campfire practices! Choose the site of your campfire carefully and keep your fire small. Stay nearby: never leave it unattended. Put your fire out by drowning it with water. Be sure that it is extinguished prior to leaving the site. Stir the ashes with a stick to uncover hot coals and then drown it again. You can never be too safe.