Beat The Silent Killer: Prevent CO In Your Home

0

Ontario’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from Nov. 1 to 7 and the Orillia Fire Department reminds you to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) in your home by getting all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually.

“In Ontario, more than 65 per cent of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home,” said Orillia Fire Chief Ralph Dominelli. “We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Get all fuel-burning appliances inspected by a registered contractor.”

 

Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles. Visit COSafety.ca to find a registered contractor near you.

 

Carbon monoxide alarms are required in your home where there is a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. A working CO alarm is required to be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of the home. For added protection the Orillia Fire Department recommends a CO alarm be installed on every storey of the home according to manufacturer’s instructions.

 

Photo Credits: www.independent.ie

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!

Please enter your name here