There were two new wildland fires discovered by late afternoon August 1.
- Algonquin Park 5 is being held at 0.1 of a hectare, and is located near the southwest corner of the park, north of Hwy 60.
- Sudbury 23 is being held at 0.1 of a hectare, approximately 12 km northwest of Windy Lake Provincial Park, on the west side of Hwy 144.
- At the time of this update, there are three other active wildland fires in the region.
- Parry Sound 14 is under control at 0.2 of a hectare, approximately 10 km northwest of Pointe au Baril.
- Peterborough 1 is being held at 10 hectares and is located west of route 15.
- Cochrane 10 measures 74 hectares and is being observed, approximately 100km southeast of Moose Factory.
- The forest fire hazard ranges mostly from moderate to high across the Northeast Region. A few isolated areas near Petawawa, Biscotasi Lake Provincial Park, and Greater Sudbury are showing an extreme hazard, while parts of the Far North are showing a low hazard.
- For up to date forest fire hazard conditions in your area, see the interactive fire map at Ontario.ca/forestfires.
Help prevent forest fires
Adopt safe campfire practices! Choose the site of your campfire carefully and keep your fire small. Stay nearby: never leave it unattended. Put your fire out by drowning it with water. Be sure that it is extinguished prior to leaving the site. Stir the ashes with a stick to uncover hot coals and then drown it again. You can never be too safe.
Consider alternatives to burning brush or yard waste, such as chipping or composting when possible, or saving burn piles for the fall or after the fire season. Use of outdoor fires must follow the outdoor burning rules set out in the Forest Fire Prevention Act of Ontario. Fires are to be started no sooner than two hours before sunset and extinguished no later than two hours after sunrise. Fires should never be left unattended and tools and water should be close at hand to put the fire out. More details on outdoor burning regulations can be found online at Ontario.ca/forestfire
For information about the current forest fire situation: 1-888-220-7242
For updates on the fire situation, visit ontario.ca/forestfire or follow us on Twitter @ONforestfires.
To report a forest fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE. To report a forest fire south of these rivers, dial 911.