The Lakelands Association of Realtors (The Lakelands) is set to donate $19,000 to charities across Parry Sound, Muskoka, Haliburton, and Orillia, continuing their tradition of supporting shelter-based organizations in the communities they serve. The association is accepting grant applications until Tuesday September 3, 2019. To raise awareness and ensure each year different organizations benefit, The Lakelands is reaching out to our community to spread the word.
“Our members are keen to contribute to their communities. Our Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation (ORCF) is a meaningful way to engage with, and support, residents,” says Wendy Webb, President of The Lakelands Association of REALTORS®. “We believe that realtors’ roles extend far beyond just buying and selling.”
Their recent generosity and $5,000 donation to support area flood relief efforts this spring captured the attention of their provincial counterpart the Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA), the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation, and CREA (the Canadian Real Estate Association), bringing the total donations to the Muskoka and Minden areas to $20,000 ($16,000 to Muskoka Victim Services and $4,000 to the Minden Food Bank).
Each member makes monthly donations to ORCF. These amounts are then divided across the jurisdiction to assist local shelter-based charities. The contributions are very important to these communities. Many local brokerages support causes in their own specific communities on top of these monthly contributions.
Last year’s grant recipients from the Lakelands Association were:
- The Burk’s Fall District Food Bank ($3,000).
- The Alzheimer Society ($3,000) and Cottage Dreams in Haliburton ($1,500). Cottage dreams supports families touched by cancer, providing an opportunity for them to reconnect and rejuvenate at a private, donated cottage.
- The Child Advocacy Centre of Simcoe/Muskoka ($1,500), a child-friendly centre in which multidisciplinary professionals provide services to children and youth who have experienced abuse.
- Couchiching Jubilee House ($1,500), an organization committed to empowering women to improve their quality of life through a program of individualized support and transitional housing.
- West Muskoka Food Bank ($3,000)
- Esprit Place Family Resource Centre ($3,000) is a ten-bed emergency shelter for women and children, serving the District of Parry Sound since 1986. They provide safe and secure residential accommodation twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Baysville Winter Pantry ($1,500) provides food support services during the winter months for people who live in the Baysville and Dorset areas.
- Muskoka Women’s Advocacy Group ($1,500) operates two, 24-hour anti-violence crisis shelters for abused women and their children. Muskoka Interval House is located in Bracebridge, Ontario and Chrysalis in Huntsville, Ontario. Chrysalis also offers supportive transitional housing units for vulnerable women.
For further details about the grant application, visit: https://realtorscareontario.ca/grants
The Lakelands represents over 850 licensed real estate professionals within the heart of Ontario’s and Canada’s cottage country. Major geographical areas within the regions include the City of Orillia, and communities within the District Municipality of Muskoka, Almaguin Highlands, Parry Sound and County of Haliburton. REALTOR® members throughout the region specialize in the trading of real estate representing different land use properties ranging from recreational, residential and commercial.