The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit (Health Unit) would like to advise
the public that a harmful algae bloom (cyanobacteria), also known as blue-green algae, has been found in Sand Lake. Species of the algae capable of producing toxins were confirmed by the laboratory of the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks. The toxins in harmful algae can irritate the skin and, if swallowed, cause diarrhea and vomiting. Residents of Sand Lake in Kearney may be affected depending on their closeness to the algae bloom, the size of the lake, wind direction, water flow, and other environmental conditions that cannot be predicted or controlled. Due to the many factors involved, government authorities are unable to determine where and when there are no toxins. Users are advised to exercise their judgment before using the water. For further details on the location of the algae bloom, and sampling process,
contact the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks – Spills Action Centre – 1-800-268-6060.
If you live near where a bloom was detected or where a bloom is visible, follow these safety measures:
Do not use the water. This includes drinking, cooking, bathing, and brushing teeth. Note:
Using a private water system or boiling the water will not destroy the toxins.
Do not swim and avoid water sports when a bloom is present.
If skin contact does occur, wash with soap and water then rinse thoroughly with clean water
to remove algae.
Limit the amount of fish flesh you eat. Some toxins can build up in fish and shellfish. Do not
eat the liver, kidneys and other organs. Be careful not to cut the organs when filleting.
The Health Unit has not closed the beaches, but rather advises individuals that they need to take caution in the area.
You can find out more about harmful algae at myhealthunit.ca/algae or by calling the Health Unit at 705-474-1400, extension 5400 or 1-800-563-2808.