Charging Device Nearly Ignites Room Contents in Gravenhurst


A charging laptop has nearly caused a fire in Gravenhurst at a home for special care. Just after 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday August 14, Gravenhurst firefighters were called to an alarm activation at the home located on Muskoka Road North.

Firefighters from Station one rushed to the scene to find residents reporting smoke coming from a bedroom in the building. When crews entered they encountered a room full of smoke and charred contents, owing to a residents tablet that was left plugged in to charge near a pillow.

“Phones, tablets, and all personal electronic devices should be charged in locations that allow for adequate ventilation to prevent overheating,” said Breyan Sinnott, fire prevention officer. “Charging electronics on fabric or under a pillow does now allow for the heat produced to dissipate in the recharge process. When devices are charged on soft surfaces it may cause the fabric to catch fire.”

The damage to the property is minimal thanks to early detection and the actions of staff and residents to prevent the smoke from spreading by closing all nearby interior doors .

Sinnott reminds residents to use the battery and charging cord designed for their device and to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.


Please enter your comment!

Please enter your name here